So, we all know that our family is a movie family. We love movies and eat them up. We collect them as if they were trading cards. Some of us are even building Blu-ray collections to welcome the next phase of movie watching. We carefully select and test sound systems to make sure the movie experience is as real as possible. I want to be able to see the dreadlocks on Depp swing as he swashbuckles through the Carribean, to count the sparks coming from Harry's wizarding want and to see every flinch of disbelief on Elizabeth Bennett's face as Darcy delivers his dashing (albeit misworded) proposal. At least I feel this way and I know Annelisa wouldn't want to miss one detail of those chemistry driven moments, like in Secret Garden. Below are some movies that have come out or will come out and a little blurb/review/critique. Some are trailers and some are just posters. Enjoy!
HP 6

No trailer because Megan might see it. Go to youtube and watch it. I'm excited. I felt this book was a connection and build-up for book 7, but it's still good. Excited to see it coming to the big screen as well as the last book. It's the culmination of everything. I just hope they don't do a Lord of the Rings deal and leave us hanging!
Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen

Well, the first one was okay. Michael Bay (the director) is more than adept at making "man-movies" (like Armageddon or The Rock). Thankfully he had Spielberg there to reign him in last time. I hope the same goes for this movie. The CGI looks amazing as it should and the action sequences look thrilling to say the least. I just hope they don't spend too much time on Megan Fox and displaying her figure or add any embarrassing conversations like in the first one. I want to see more Shia, more of that funny black guy with the doughnuts, and less of Megan Fox practicing her calendar poses.
Sherlock Holmes
This movie came as a surprise to me but with Jude Law and Robert Downey, Jr., how could it go wrong? The trailer sure looks intense. I've been a fan of RDJr since "Heart and Souls". He's just got this great dry humor and now, for reasons unknown, as resurrected his career starring in huge movies like, Iron Man, Tropic Thunder, The Soloist and now Sherlock Holmes. It's got a bit more other worldliness to it than I think is really in Conan Doyle's novels but why not? I've only read Hound of the Baskervilles because I made myself. Too much thinking and logic for me. This is a movie, I think I'd rather watch than read another Doyle book (No offense to the Doyle lovers out there!). End of the trailer is risque so be forewarned.
Is Anybody There?
Michael Caine has been in so many movies and this one looks quite interesting. I'm not really one for seeing dramas in the theater but this one looks like it might be worth the trip. I am very glad they didn't use Freddie Highmore as the kid. For some reason, that kid just rubs me the wrong way. I think it's his nose. Anyway, it's about a retired magician who doesn't want to be sent to a nursing home. It's got the earmarks of being predictable as he goes through the home and livens up the residents. Sort of like Bucket List. I just hope it says one step ahead of being predictable. Even if it doesn't, hopefully Michael Caine can give it enough pizazz to keep it out of being overly sentimental.
Toy Story 3
This is just a teaser trailer but it's exciting. Disney/Pixar is bringing Toy Story out of the closet. Why not? It's been one of their most successful movies and now is back for a third installment. It follows the story of the toys when they get donated to a day care center because Andy leaves for college. Hope it works. Pixar's been known for doing full-length movies around a shaky plotline. A fish searching for his son, monsters in the closet just doing their job, and a rat that wants to cook? In my opinion the only real flop they had was about a trash-compacting robot who falls in love. Willie, was it...Whinnie...no...I forget. That's about how much I think it didn't go. Animation for Pixar is always a plus as well as creating loveable characters. Who doesn't like Buzz, Woody, Dory, or Dug. See below.
Up
Again with the shaky plot line. An old man who flies away in his house. Could have been boring, could have stunk. I was reluctant after Wall-e (that's the name). But Pixar delivers. One reviewer said that Up has more character building in the first ten minutes than most movies have in two hours. Loved it. If you haven't seen it yet, why are you still reading this? Go out and see it! If you listen carefully you'll hear Dug tell a really funny joke about squirrels.
Star Trek

Not a Trekkie fan, but loved this movie. Chris Pike does a great job and Spock is great. This movies just a fun summer blockbuster that has enough trekkiness for the die-hards but is still general enough to pull the audience and hopefully line up for a sequel. Even though it's an even numbered movie, supposedly those have a curse, I think this movie deftly dispels any such sequel slip-ups. Go see it. Worth the full price.
1 comment:
Thanks for the movie clips and commentary. I had fun watching them.
Post a Comment