Crafts, Goodies and Interesting Finds

Powered by Blogger.

October 27, 2010

Jackson and Autism

Even as I write this, I'm not even sure that I really want to share it, because it's something deeply personal. Of course it concerns my family. But I'd like your help in a group fast.

Jackson has been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. By the time he got an official diagnosis they weren't telling me anything I didn't already know. The biggest indicators were a lack of language and the way he interacted with others. Jackson can jabber with the best of them. I know that many of you are familiar, some very personally, with autism. Some of your hubbies' are going to school and learning about this, so you might have an idea of the details. Here is a general link. We suspected that he might have delayed speech by 18 mos, but he had said words and used them correctly. He'd use a new word anywhere from a week to a month and then we'd never see it again. We were transferring insurance companies AND moving and so we didn't get him tested for speech or hearing until around his second birthday. Oh, and we were having another baby.

We started sign language because I was going out of my mind. I had to do something. I rented Baby Signing Time from the library and Jackson picked it up really quick. Sign Language is language so I felt a lot better.

As soon as circumstances allowed, we got Jackson in to see a speech therapist. She told that he had about a 50% delay in expressive and receptive language. Jackson loves ST. It's all play based so he has a blast, even if he gets frustrated because she's controlling the activity.
So the next stop was a ped. neurologist. As of now, he falls somewhere in the autism spectrum (could be Asperger's as well) but they can't tell how severe it is. They will need to wait and see how much his language develops in order to place him on the spectrum. He does have a lot of symptoms of autism, such as the language delay and the fact that he hangs back from joining in play with other toddlers. BUT he does make eye contact (even if it does fade), he is affectionate and excited to see us, he comes and shows me stuff and wants me near him, he doesn't have tantrums (in fact, he hardly has any- he'll gently scold me by gently pinching the back of my hand, which is what Colby and I do when he's been naughty; it's his way of saying, "I don't agree with what you're doing. Bad Mommy-he usually only does it when I strap him in a shopping cart :) he doesn't freak out with textures or if we don't strictly follow our routines. He's also really bright. We think he's practically perfect in every way. So all of these things are great.

It's strange mentioning it to other people because they all have different experiences with autism and have varying levels of knowledge. I'm not an expert by any means. One woman said, "Oh, I'm so sorry." Well I'm not! Jackson is Jackson. The diagnosis doesn't change anything about him. Jackson is mine forever and armed with the knowledge of the plan of salvation, I know that autism is something Jackson has, not who he is. I also know that Jackson is part of our family for a reason, that Heavenly Father has a larger plan for our family than what I know.
My family organized a family fast for Jackson to help improve his language. He'll be seen by the neurologist in four months and depending on the improvement in his language, they'll be able to place him more accurately on the spectrum. We are so grateful for the opportunity to unite our faith through fasting, especially for Jackson. I know the Heavenly Father is aware of us. I have faith that this fast is important and we will all benefit because of it.

The fast is taking place on Nov 7th. If any of you would be willing to participate, we'd greatly appreciate it.

6 comments:

Durrant said...

Becca, thanks for sharing. We will definitely join in the fast. I hope you are able to get some more answers soon. Thank goodness for modern technology. Know that we are praying for little Jackson!

Ryan and Erin said...

You are in our prayers too!

Joanna said...

You can count on our family in your fast. It was testimony building for me to hear your faith in Heavenly Father's plan for all of us. Jackson is lucky to have you for parents, and you are just as lucky to have him. I still can't wait to meet the little guy. We will pray for him.

Shelly Onofrio said...

I am so glad you shared this, Becca. I have been meaning to call or email you for a while to see how you have been doing--your visit to Utah seems like ages ago! We will keep Jackson and the whole family in our prayers. I looked at some of your pictures today for the first time in a while--the boys are getting so big! Let us know if you're going to be out this way again for anything. You have to meet Miles--he and Sam will be perfect playmates some day!

Meredith said...

We'll be fasting with you and thinking of you, too. Best of luck with everything! We'll keep you in our prayers.

Marel and Tom Stock! said...

I'm sorry that I missed all this. I've been kind of off the catching up with people radar since Sabrina was born. Jackson is such a sweetie. It's all about figuring out what works best for him and it sounds like you're doing pretty well! We'll keep you in our prayers.