Crafts, Goodies and Interesting Finds

Powered by Blogger.

November 9, 2010

Big Thanks

Thanks so much for all your support! It was really touching to think that so many people we fasting and praying just for Jackson! It has meant so much to us.

He's really been doing well at speech therapy and we're looking forward to see what he does next! His attention has been getting better and better, which is key for learning language.



During Speech:
The ST (speech therapist, Kim) get in Jackson's face A LOT at ST. She moves so that Jackson can see her face and intrudes on his play so that he'll say something to get her to leave him alone. So today, he tried blocking her with his body and when that didn't work, he came over to me, used my and his bodies to block out Kim. It didn't really work, but it was a good idea. Then he turned his whole body away from her and gave her the cold shoulder. She said that even though he's resisting her interaction, it's really good that he is getting as mad as he is because a lot of kids with autism sometimes don't even realize that there is someone trying to interact with them.

Today he whispered, "beep, beep".

At home, I decided to tickle Jackson by pinning him to the ground and stretching out his arms to his sides and tickling him on his tummy, neck and under his arms with my nose. I say I'm "smelling for giggles". Well when I stopped, Jackson signed, "laugh" and "again". So we did it again! We colored for a little bit, then I laid down on the ground. Jackson laid next to me and I thought he wanted to cuddle, so I did. He didn't want to. He made me sit up, then he laid back on the ground, and signed "laugh", "laugh", "laugh". So I tickled him again! Don't tell me why he likes to be tortured!

He just started putting two signs together, which is a BIG DEAL! By the age of two, most kids should be putting two word sentences together at minimum. So combining the two signs is HUGE! He's also been using more of the signs that he already knows! So fantastic!

Speaking of autism:
Remember that when you talk to others about autism or mention that Jackson has autism, be sure to say that he HAS autism not that he is autistic. Because it's true-- whoever you're talking to may not know that autism is not who he is, but that it's something he has. Thanks!

4 comments:

Heather said...

You are such a good mom. I especially appreciated the ending reminder--the difference between has and is. Thanks and good luck at ST.

Tyler - Danielle - Emree said...

It is so fun to hear the stories and I can just tell how proud you are of him. Life is all about celebrating accomplishments! We love you guys.

Jonathan and Laura said...

It's great to hear about Jackson's improvements! You're such a great mom.

Alicia said...

Hi! I haven't checked your blog in a while, but I just thought I should mention Jonathan was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, or high functioning autism, a few months ago, so if you ever want to talk give me a ring at 804-399-0430 or email me aliciahinrichs at gmail.com.