Crafts, Goodies and Interesting Finds

Powered by Blogger.

April 19, 2012

A Twilight Fan's Summer Reading Book List, Part 1

Our library:
Ok. It's not really like that. BUT they have an uh-MAY-zing selection of books and media. In fact, I'd say this library is what is getting me through dental school. Plus a downpour of heavenly help.

Well, the library has put out book lists and I love book lists. I love lists. There is something cosmically fulfilling in scratching something off a list. So, for some summer reading here are some book lists based on the ones my library provided.

Twilight Fans Reading List:
City of Bones by Clare, C.

A partially nude man on the cover? Any teen girl will pick it up to at least give it a second look.


Honestly, I started to read it but it seemed like a mad mash-up of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Twilight. It's gotten lots of good reviews, several sequels AND a spin-off series.
Clary, the herione, must come to terms with her new gift when dealing with the demon-hunting Shadowhunters, her bro's almost-death and her mom's disappearance.
I'm putting it up here because obviously it's pretty popular and I heard it was a steampunk novel. There.

A Great And Terrible Beauty by Bray, L.

Gemma goes to a finishing school and becomes aware of her magical powers.
Skip it. You remember that movie "Cruel Intentions" with Reese Witherspoon and Selma Blair? Not that I saw it, but I caught a clip on TV. Let's just say that the movie and book have similar girl to girl undertones.

Marked (House of Night) by Cast, P.C.

Zoey enters the House of Night after she's been marked a vampire to be trained to a full-fledged vampire. Hope she can survive. Never read it, but also very popular.

Blue Bloods (Series) by De la Cruz, M.

High society teens find out they are vampires. Or something like that. I didn't get past the first chapter. There was so much reference to high-fashion like Gucci, Prada and other designers, I got lost. I felt like Anne Hathaway in Devil Wears Prada.

Need by Jones, C.

Straight from the author's site:
"Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays “safe.” Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal.
Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie—and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara."

Might be worth a look. And p.s. I NEED that lipstick. Serious. No gun intended.

Silver Kiss by Krause, A.
 
I actually own this book and have read it more than once and even recently (last 4 yrs). Zoe, whose mother is dying from cancer, meets a strange boy and his secrets and past help her come to terms with her mother's death. It's pretty good. I'd say a 7 out of 10. Fast read.


Wicked Lovely by Marr, M.

Aislinn, who can see the fey folk, is drawn against her will into a battle between the Summer King and Winter Queen.
I read it and it was okaaay. Interesting plot and great imagery; wasn't really interested in reading the sequels. A bit on the dark side. But the imagery is amazing and I often think about them from time to time.

Sunshine by Mc Kinley, R. 

Anything by Robin McKinley is worth a look.
This one is about vampires and a girl who is abducted for dinner has to help her would-be killer survive the following day.
I'm checking this one out.

Impossible by Werlin, N.

Amazon's spiel:
Inspired by the classic folk ballad “Scarborough Fair,” this is a wonderfully riveting novel of suspense, romance, and fantasy. Lucy is seventeen when she discovers that she is the latest recipient of a generations-old family curse that requires her to complete three seemingly impossible tasks or risk falling into madness and passing the curse on to the next generation. Unlike her ancestors, though, Lucy has family, friends, and other modern resources to help her out. But will it be enough to conquer this age-old evil?

I think I'll add this one to my list.

The Darkangel (Trilogy)

Aeiriel has to choose between destroying her vampire master and saving him because he's beautiful. Hmmm. It's a lame premise and I've read the book. The imagery was really good, but I felt like the girl's train of thought was so illogical I wanted to not be a girl. And I just realized that the cover is a face. I had made it out to be some sort of winged modern interpretation of and angel.

Shiver by Stiefvater, M.

I've seen this cover and it's been on my list to read for a while, but I've just never picked it up. Really reading the premise turns me off for a bit. A girl who watches the pack of wolves is inextricably drawn to them. Really? It sounds like a show about nothing. Sort of. 

Wings by Pike, A.

When wings blossom from Laurel's back she discovers that she has a crucial role to play in the battle between fey and troll. Squeaky clean. I liked the concept. Really fun and fresh take on fairies.

Forgive my Fins by Childs, T.

Goodread's spiel:Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.

I loved this book. It's great. Even though you can see through the teen girl spin on "how boys think" it's still a fun read. And let's all admit it, they are confusing! I've read the sequel and while it wasn't quite up to the standard of the first, I'll still read #3. Of course, that's how I read all of the Twilight series, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  


While I'm thinking about them:

Check out the Parasol protectorate series. I LOVE the first one. Vampires, werewolves, Victorian London and steampunk!!! Sounds like a crazy mix and I almost put it down but thought I could use a good book to laugh at, but it is AMAZING!!!!!

The Leviathan Series by Scott Westerfeld

Another great Steampunk read. WWI gets a rewrite as Darwinists (genetic engineers) and Klankers (steam-powered machinists) go head to head. LOVED IT. Also a great audio book, but you miss out on the pictures. Yes, I know pictures, but they really do make the book. Also check out his "Uglies" series if you haven't yet. He's got a vampire series called "Peeps" but it was a bit much for me. 



Anyway...hope you can find a good vampire/werewolf/fairy read from this list. I'll post Summer reading books in a bit!

Happy reading

No comments: