
So our RS is hosting a slew of food storage classes. This last Sunday the Bishop spent 1 1/2 hrs scaring everyone and so I thought I should step it up a bit for food storage. Megan came with us and we learned about applebox ovens, solar ovens, and using alcohol for fuel. Who knew? Although I think the rest of the world would take note if the Mormons started buying alcohol in bulk. Interesting. They also let us sample different kinds of milk alternatives including powdered milk. And I must say that I'd have to be pretty desperate to drink rice milk. Nasty!! Soy wasn't so bad (but I already like soy), oat milk tasted "oaty" and the almond milk was really "almondy". Nice descriptions, huh? Then onto the powdered milks. By far the milkiest was a brand called "Country Cream". It was unanimous. Although a bit more expensive (by a few dollars) Country Cream was like 2%. The church's "Provident Pantry" was only palatable with added vanilla. If no vanilla you definitely had to choke it down. Megan and Colby did shots. Also, a very knowledgeable food storage guru said that if you're squeamish about powdered milk, chances are if you've had store bought milk you've had powdered milk. Apparently, a lot of grocery stores keep a supply of powdered milk on hand if they run out of their stock. They just reconstitute it (not rehydrate) and sell it to you and no one is the wiser. Corporate fiends. Moving on, one of the women demonstrated cooking with the applebox ovens by making macademia and chocolate chip cookies. By the end of milk tasting we weren't sure if the milk was to wash the cookies down or if the cookies were to wash the milk down. I discreetly ended my tasting session with my cookie.
No comments:
Post a Comment